[Osia-members] OSIA Members: Important Message from the OSIA Board & Member Request

Fiamegos, Con Con_Fiamegos at ocs.com
Fri Nov 23 00:08:30 EST 2012

Please unsubscribe me

----- Original Message -----
From: Carl Holden [mailto:ch at hdix.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:03 PM
To: osia-members at osia.com.au <osia-members at osia.com.au>
Subject: [Osia-members] OSIA Members: Important Message from the OSIA Board	& Member Request

Hello fellow Members,

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE OSIA BOARD & MEMBER REQUEST

As can be seen from various lawsuits (esp. Apple vs Samsung)
Intellectual Property rights are fast becoming a major factor in the
marketplace. An argument can be made, that is sometimes innocuous or what
seems to be not immediately relevant IP can eventually result in
crippling of businesses and loss of jobs, homes etc. for those caught up
the eventual mess - that was not of their creation.

Much of what is negotiated and then written up in legislative
documentation and International agreements (e.g. "free Trade") is
usually highly legalistic, often with implications that are not
understood or not "negotiated out" at the time, only to become very
significant at some later date (maybe even when your business gets
raided by the Federal Police or Customs).

The current Board believes it is in the best interests of its members to
engage with Government - at all levels - and Industry, wherever and
whenever suitable opportunities arise.

As part of this commitment, we have been asked by other like-minded
Australian and
foreign organisations to state clearly, succinctly and in writing OSIA's
position on a variety of matters that impact the Industry generally and
specifically, such as the current TPP negotiations.

As Chair of the Government Relations Committee, (and Don may agree -
with the Alliances Portfolio) OSIA are seriously handicapped by the lack
of contemporary "position documentation", both to use for meetings and
to also have downloadable from the OSIA website, for all to see.

Suitable and broad-scope Position Papers will assist us in our
negotiations with State and Federal Government Agencies and politicians,
to make our case clear and present it comprehensively, to further the
interests of the Australian Open Source Industry.

ONE EXAMPLE - TPP & POSITION PAPERS:
As an example of the important advocacy role OSIA plays, we have taken
an active interest in the proposed Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) that
involves nine nations, including Australia  The current negotiations
(see http://www.dfat.gov.au/fta/tpp/), consist of 22 separate Chapters,
one of which is devoted to Intellectual Property Rights (IPR).

OSIA has engaged in the stakeholder consultation process set up by DFAT
around the TPP, and currently has an interest in four separate Chapters
of TPP, chief amongst which is the IPR Chapter. A major complicating
factor has been that most of the negotiations have been conducted in
secret with little information known or released publicly.

OSIA directors have participated in all Australian stakeholder fora &
briefings held since the 11th Round (February 2012). In addition, a
7-member OSIA TPP Committee has been formed to progress our internal
analysis and the development of suitable policy responses, and dialogues
have been opened with a number of kindred organisations.

The Board has received, and looks favourably upon, a proposal from OSIA
member Open Source Law (http://opensourcelaw.biz, a law firm operated by
Brendan Scott, who many will recall as one of our founders, and as
OSIA's longest serving past Chairman) to undertake suitable legal &
policy analyses leading to the drafting of generic position papers, for
OSIA's consideration, on IPR issues affecting the Australian FOSS
industry that may arise in trade treaties. These could form a basis on
which OSIA's responses to future proposed treaties could be drafted, and
could also serve in themselves as useful advocacy tools.

PLEDGES - A SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITY:
As you may be aware, the OSIA Board is lean  and can carry out our
normal functions with the current funding from members and sponsors.

However, due to the increasing workload that requires greater input,
the Board is open to considering proposals such as the one received from
Open Source Law. In relation to that specific proposal, a need has been
identified to find the means to fund it, without impacting adversely on
existing OSIA operations.

To get this solution underway, we have taken a suggestion from "the
floor" at a recent NSW Members event and are now seeking "financial
pledges" from OSIA members to fund this necessary work.

"Please help!

If you can assist, please contact the Chairman or me to record your
pledge (all amounts accepted) or for further information by email or
telephone as follows:

Jack Burton - 04 3828 7866 or <jack at saosce.com.au>
Carl Holden - 04 2728 2728 or <ch at hdix.com>

Very best regards

Carl Holden
Chair - OSIA Government Relations Committee

Managing Director
Holden Dynamics Pty Ltd
PO Box 1, The Oaks NSW 2570,
Ph:  02-4657 2929   Fax: 02-9012 0888
Mobile 04 2728 2728
http://www.HoldenDynamics.com

International:
Phone +61 2 4657 2929
Mobile +61 4 2728 2728
Fax     +61 2 9012 0888

Australian Business Number  44 003 265 861

If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to use or
disclose this information, and we request that you notify us by reply mail
or telephone and delete the original message from your mail system.