[Osia-members] OSIA September update

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Sun Sep 30 22:56:07 EST 2012

Evening all.

September has really flown past -- just glanced at the clock and noticed
there's only a couple of hours left to get out an update in September,
so thought I'd better get to it...

1. OSIA Events
--------------

The most recent OSIA forum was held in Melbourne on 22 August and
featured guest speakers from NBNCo and Senath. The event was well
attended and by all accounts well received.

No OSIA events were held in September, but to make up for that we're
running two events in October, both in Queensland.

GOLD COAST -- 11 OCT:
An event jointly organised by the Gold Coast IT Forum and OSIA will be
held on 11 Oct in Southport. Guest speaker Danny Maher of Opmantek will
present on "Commercializing Innovation (in real life!), Building
Opmantek at the Gold Coast". Thanks go out to OSIA Director Steve Dalton
for his efforts on this one. More details available at:
http://www.meetup.com/itforumgc/events/83544422/

BRISBANE -- 17 OCT:
As a result of the overwhelming success of and positive reaction to the
OSIA forum held in Adelaide back in June, we've invited guest speaker
Andrew Moore, of Santos, back to repeat his highly acclaimed
presentation "Open Source + Private Cloud = Big Data + Big Benefits" at
an OSIA forum in Brisbane on 17 October -- register today at
http://osia.com.au/drupal7/?q=node/15 -- stay tunes for more details on
the list from OSIA Events Director Daniel Jitnah shortly.

2. OSIA presence at conferences
-------------------------------

Only one OSIA member responded in the affirmative to the request for
interest in a potential OSIA "super-BoF" around OSDC2012 or LCA2013 (see
the August update). So that's not going to happen.

However, we're still aware that a significant number of OSIA members are
likely to be at one or both of those conferences, so we'll likely be
organising at least some sort of informal social gathering for OSIA
members in attendance. Stay tuned for further details closer to the
dates.

3. Government relations initiatives
-----------------------------------

Work continues on the various government relations initiatives in train
(see the August update for details), but I'm afraid there's not much new
to report this month.

Members can expect to hear more about some of these matters from OSIA
Government Relations Director Carl Holden in the coming weeks.

4. Membership renewals
----------------------

There has been a slight delay in getting out the call for renewals
promised last month, but members can expect to see it very soon now.

Once again, OSIA needs our members' continued support to help fund the
increased level of activity seen over the last two years and to build
further upon that in 2012/13.

5. Alliances
------------

OSIA Alliances Director Don Christie, Government Relations Director Carl
Holden and I have been talking to a number of kindred organisations
about potential joint initiatives in relation to some of the government
relations matters mentioned in previous updates. I hope to have more to
say about these in the next update.

In addition, talks are scheduled between representatives of OSIA, VFOSSA
(the equivalent Vietnamese organisation) and the Vietnamese Government
in early October to explore opportunities for collaboration. Thanks go
our to OTF for making that possible. I look forward to updating you on
the outcomes next month.

6. Infrastructure
-----------------

OSIA infrastructure changes are progressing well. Members may not have
even noticed the recent web & mail migrations -- a sure sign of a well
executed implementation plan -- but I can assure you they have happened.
Many thanks to OSIA Infrastructure Director Paul Gampe. More to report
next month.

7. AGM
------

OSIA's Annual General Meeting this year will be held in Sydney on 5
December, commencing late afternoon or early evening.

We don't have a venue or exact time confirmed yet, but we're working to
secure a venue at or reasonably close to OSDC, to make it as easy as
possible for as many members as possible to attend.

Stay tuned for further details in the coming weeks from OSIA Secretary
Bob Birchall.

8. Board meetings
-----------------

Since the last update, the OSIA Board has met twice -- in Melbourne on
22 August, and by teleconference on 17 September. I've covered the
pertinent matters before the board at those meetings above.

The Board will meet again in Brisbane on 17 October (immediately before
the October OSIA forum).

As always, should any member become aware of any matter relevant to OSIA
that isn't before the Board (or have an opinion to express on any matter
that is), please feel free to let us know -- either on this list, or
off-list to me or any other OSIA Director.

In closing, I look forward to seeing many of you at the OSIA forum in
Brisbane on the 17th, and I'm sure Steve looks forward to seeing the
rest of you on the Gold Coast on the 11th.

Regards,

--
Jack Burton MACS CP
<jack at saosce.com.au>