[Osia-members] OSIA Members may consider: Vic GOV Digital Future Funding

Paul Moore pmoore at astute-systems.com
Thu Feb 28 15:56:13 EST 2013

Hi Daniel, Kanchana,

It depends on both the perspective and how it's presented. My background is
taking Open Source and integrating it into a business solution.

Most projects are built on parts of other projects, especially in Open
Source.

There are two particular business problems that are high profile and highly
embarrassing in Victoria.
  1:   When there is a bushfire emergency, the CFS website crashed because
it was overloaded. -  (Ummm, twice)
  2:   When "ClickFrenzy" went live, their website crashed too.

However bits and pieces of Open Source software have been around for a long
time. So have commercial solutions. Amazon Web Services existed at the
time, Google had been going for a long time, highly available clusters
existed, along with F5 load balancers. Openstack may have existed. That
didn't stop the problem.  It may have been poor planning, lack of getting
good advice.  (I actually applied for a contract position to fix the CFS
service before the second time it went down, but I suspect the contract was
won by IBM or someone who will make it a long, expensive and complicated
project.)

The problem is that there was no (and still is no) widely available, widely
known, open source, easily deploy-able business solution for the people who
were running the CFS and ClickFrenzy services. One can be built with the
Open Source software and the commodity services currently available, but it
will take some resources. Who better than the Victorian Government to
provide those resources in the form of a grant so they can solve their own
problems and enhance Victorian business?

It's early days all round, and we're still in the discovery and proof of
concept stage. What I envisage as the end solution is to have a web service
"X", running at a low level, pre-program business rules to pre-authorise
scale-out spending, and the service "X" will scale as required. Although
this may exist already, it's often captive to a particular provider, such
as AWS, or it has way too many steps to be widely deployed. There needs to
be a solution that makes a number of assumptions, pre-answers configuration
items, documents and removes complexity, and "just works".

I have been considering setting up a company with a few other consultants
and backers to build the above solution to solve not only the above
problems, but to provide a dynamically scaleable foundation for another
service offering.

If anyone would like to get together for coffee in Melbourne CBD to talk
about this, give me a call on my mobile.

--
Cheers,

Paul Moore - 0411 887 926 - pmoore at astute-systems.com
Solutions Architect, Astute Systems*
Technical Business Analyst**
Symantec Enterprise Installer*
Linked-In: *http://www.linkedin.com/in/visionary*<http://www.linked-in.com/in/visionary>
*
Red Hat Certified Engineer / Instructor / Examiner** # 803004540512030*
Verify it at *http://www.redhat.com/training/certification/verify*<http://www.redhat.com/training/certification/verify>
.