[Osia-members] Software patents

Don Christie don at catalyst.net.nz
Thu May 9 12:21:16 EST 2013

Hi

This is one of the reasons I have been a little bit slack on OSIA TPP
business. A lot of background review and input to drafting by a few
people this side of the Tassy ditch.

The press release from Minister Foss is here:

http://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/minister-supports-nz-software-innovation

"Following consultation with the NZ software and IT sector, I am pleased
to be further progressing the Patents Bill with this SOP. These changes
ensure the Bill is consistent with the intention of the Commerce Select
Committee recommendation that computer programs should not be
patentable"

Some good legal analysis here:

http://www.iitp.org.nz/newsletter/article/430?utm_source=index

It's not as straight forward an exclusion as we sought but we think it
is better than most countries have.

I believe this is very achievable in Australia. Anyone want to make it
happen?

Cheers
Don