[Osia-members] OSIA submission to ACIP Review of the innovation patent system -- call for volunteers

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Thu Sep 26 18:51:57 EST 2013

Evening, all.

Yesterday, it was brought to our attention that the Advisory Council on
Intellectual Property (ACIP) are calling for industry submission to
their present review of the Australian innovation patent system.

See here:
http://www.acip.gov.au/reviews/all-reviews/review-innovation-patent-system/

Thanks to Ben Sturmfels for letting us know about this.

The ACIP issues paper asks a series of 14 questions on the innovation
patent system.

Of greatest interest to OSIA is Question 11, which asks "Should the
excluded subject matter for an innovation patent be amended to include
computer software? Why or why not?"

OSIA has had quite a bit to say on the matter in the past, most recently
in our submission to DFAT on TPP of 24 June this year.

In addition to the issues paper, ACIP provide an options paper which
describes in detail 3 potential outcomes: no change; abolition of the
innovation patent system; or modification of the innovation patent
system.

Today, the Board agreed (out of session) in principle that OSIA should
lodge a submission to the ACIP review.

Submissions close on 4 Oct -- so we have very little time (effectively,
we need a first draft ready by Sunday night; and the final draft tabled
for Board endorsement by Tuesday night), but that should not stop us, as
we have managed to respond to calls for specific submissions in less
time before (e.g. the OSIA first OSIA submission to ACARA).

The submission will be drafted collaboratively over the next few days.

Three Directors (Don Christie, Daniel Jitnah & I) have committed to
contribute to the drafting process.

Any OSIA members with an interest in the matter and the ability to
commit time over the next few days (preferably over the weekend) are
invited to participate in the drafting process.

Please mail me off-list if interested.

Regards,

--
Jack Burton MACS CP