[Osia-members] OSIA February update

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Wed Feb 24 19:02:59 AEST 2016

Evening, all.

Time marches on and the month of March is almost upon us, so it must be
time for next OSIA update.

** Commonwealth government shared services submission **

On 9 February, OSIA lodged a response to the Commonwealth Department of
Finance's discussion paper on the whole-of-government shared & common
services programme.

Copies of the response can be obtained here:
http://www.osia.com.au/drupal7/sites/default/files/default/APS-Response-Report.pdf

The board thanks OSIA Director, Public Policy (Domestic) Aimee Maree
Forsstrom for leading the effort on this matter.

** Productivity Commission Inquiry into IP arrangements **

Members will no doubt recall that in November last year OSIA lodged an
initial submission to the Productivity Commission's Inquiry into
Intellectual Property Arrangements, available here:
http://www.osia.com.au/drupal7/sites/default/files/default/productivitycommisionreport.pdf
and here:
http://www.pc.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/194466/sub021-intellectual-property.pdf

The Inquiry is ongoing, with the Commission's draft report expected to
be released at the end of April and their final report in August,
following a further round of consultation. For further information on
the Inquiry, see:
http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/current/intellectual-property

This week we were contacted by the Productivity Commission who
expressed an interest in some of the material in our initial submission
and a desire to enter into further discussions with OSIA. To that end,
OSIA Director Aimee Maree Forsstrom and I will be meeting with one of
the Commission's economists in due course.

** Trans Pacific Partnership **

TPP was tabled at the Joint Standing Committee on Treaties (JSCOT) on 9
February. There is a short window of opportunity in which to lodge
submissions on TPP to JSCOT and OSIA intends to do so.

Any members with the time, capability and desire to contribute to OSIA's
submission to JSCOT are invited to contact me off-list.

** Linux.conf.au **

LCA2016 (held in Geelong on 1 to 5 Feb) was a resounding success, as
expected. Hats off to the organisers. In addition to enjoying the
conference itself, OSIA Director Paul Foxworthy and I were pleased to
catch up with a good number of OSIA members and their staff at LCA.

We look forward to seeing even more of you at LCA2017 in Hobart next
year.

** Board meetings & strategic plan review **

The board met in Melbourne on Sat 6 Feb, and will next meet in Sydney on
Sat 5 March.

As always, OSIA members are encouraged to bring any pertinent matters
(and indeed your views on them) to the attention of the Board, either
on this list or by contacting any of us directly.

Also on 5 Mar, the board will be taking some time to consider the future
of OSIA and formulating plans for the path forward from here.

Regards,

Jack Burton
<jack at saosce.com.au>