[Osia-members] OSIA May/June update

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Fri Jun 3 16:47:46 AEST 2016

Afternoon, all.

It's been another busy month and a bit at OSIA.

** Productivity Commission Inquiry into IP arrangements **

Today (just minutes ago), OSIA lodged our final submission to the
Productivity Commission's Inquiry into Intellectual Property
Arrangements.

Copies of the response can be obtained here:
http://www.osia.com.au/drupal7/sub-pc-ip-final-201606

This has been a refreshing opportunity to contribute substantially to
what I can only describe as an overwhelmingly positive public policy
review process.

As lead author for the final submission, I'd personally like to thank
OSIA Director Paul Foxworthy for his invaluable contributions, without
which this would not have been possible, as well as OSIA Director Aimee
Maree Forsstrom, who led the drafting of our initial submission to this
Inquiry in November last year.

A number of OSIA directors will also be appearing before public
hearings of the Inquiry in late June.

** Productivity Commission Inquiry into Data Availability and Use **

At its May meeting, the board resolved to lodge a submission to the
Productivity Commission's Inquiry into Data Availability and Use.

Work on this has been on hold, while we concentrated on the Inquiry
into IP Arrangements (see above), but will recommence tomorrow.

Any members (or any employees of members) with the time, capability and
desire to contribute to OSIA's submission to this Inquiry are invited
to contact OSIA Director Paul Foxworthy <paul.foxworthy at osia.com.au>,
who will be leading the drafting of this submission, within the next
few days.

The board thanks Cameron Shorter, of OSIA member LISAsoft, for bringing
this Inquiry to our attention.

** Annual renewals **

It's that time of year again. OSIA Secretary Steven Sackett will be
issuing membership renewal invoices within the next week or so, so
please keep an eye out for yours. Renewal invoices will fall due in
early July.

OSIA needs our members' continued support to help fund increased levels
of activity.

** Board meetings **

The board met in Sydney on 6 May and will next meet tomorrow (4 June),
in Adelaide.

As always, OSIA members are encouraged to bring any pertinent matters
(and indeed your views on them) to the attention of the Board, either
on this list or by contacting any of us directly.

Regards,

Jack Burton
<jack at saosce.com.au>