[Osia-members] OSIA July/August update

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Tue Aug 30 14:26:08 AEST 2016

Afternoon, all.

The last couple of months have seen a flurry of activity at OSIA, all
of potential interest to members.

** Productivity Commission Inquiry into IP arrangements **

On 23 June, OSIA Directors Paul Foxworthy, Daniel Jitnah and I appeared
before the Inquiry's public hearing in Melbourne, following on from
OSIA's two prior submissions to the Inquiry (30 Nov 2015 & 3 Jun 2016)
and earlier interview with the Commission's economists (11 Mar 2016).

The transcript of the hearing is available here:
http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/current/intellectual-property/public-hearings/20160623-melbourne-intellectual-property.pdf

OSIA's appearance is on the pages 37 to 45 (numbered 451 to 459).

This Inquiry is expected to deliver its final report in September.

** Productivity Commission Inquiry into Data Availability and Use **

On 29 July, OSIA lodged an initial submission to this Inquiry. Copies of
the submission can be found here:
http://www.osia.com.au/drupal7/sites/default/files/default/osia_sub_201607_pc_da_0.pdf
and here:
http://www.pc.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/204371/sub130-data-access.pdf

This Inquiry is expected to deliver its interim report in November.

The board thanks OSIA Director Paul Foxworthy for leading OSIA's
efforts on this matter and Cameron Shorter, of OSIA member LISAsoft,
for bringing this Inquiry to our attention to begin with.

** OSIA welcomes new sponsor: Joviam **

Joviam -- https://www.joviam.com -- have come on board as OSIA's newest
bronze sponsor.

The board thanks Joviam for their generosity, and invites any member
not yet aware of their offerings to take a moment to check them out.

** Secretary to retire; new Secretary sought **

OSIA Secretary Steven Sackett has given notice that he will be retiring
from the role in mid November. The board thanks Mr Sackett for his
exemplary service over the last three years and wishes him all the best
in his retirement.

Expressions of interest are sought from members (or senior employees of
members) interested in taking on the role of Company Secretary
thereafter.

Those interested should contact me directly, off-list.

** Change of Treasurer **

As part of the succession planning process for Mr Sackett's retirement,
OSIA Director Daniel Jitnah has taken over the treasury portfolio, from
1 July 2016 for the remainder of the present term.

Between now and the AGM, financial enquiries relating to the 2015/16 FY
should continue to be directed to Steven Sackett
<secretary at osia.com.au>, whilst financial enquiries relating to the
current (2016/17) FY should be directed to Daniel Jitnah
<treasurer at osia.com.au>.

** Resignation of Director **

Ryan Cross resigned from the OSIA board on 16 August, to pursue other
ventures. The board thanks Mr Cross for his service over the last two
years.

As we are getting close to the 2016 AGM anyway, the board has resolved
not to fill the casual vacancy left by Mr Cross' resignation.

For the remainder of the current term, any enquiries relating to
matters of international public policy (Mr Cross' former portfolio)
should be directed to me.

** Annual Report **

The board has approved the OSIA 2015/16 annual report. OSIA Secretary
Steven Sackett will be distributing it on this list within the next few
days, so please keep an eye out for it.

** Annual election **

Members are reminded that, as always, the board is up for election at
the AGM.

Service on the board is the most direct route to shaping the future of
your industry body, so any members (or senior employees of members)
having a keen interest in the governance, management & operations of
OSIA (especially in relation to matters of public policy, which is our
chief focus) and having sufficient capability & availability to commit
to serving on the board are encouraged to nominate.

OSIA Secretary Steven Sackett will be be distributing a call for
nominations within the next week or two.

** Annual General Meeting **

OSIA's 2016 AGM will be held in Sydney on 18 November, after hours. The
notice of AGM will be distributed on this list before the end of
September.

So please keep the evening of 18/11 free in your diaries. I look
forward to catching up with many OSIA members on the night of the AGM.

** Annual renewals **

Thankyou to all those members who have paid their membership renewal
invoices over the last couple of months. OSIA values our members'
continued support, which we need to help fund increased levels of
activity.

Any member who did not receive a renewal invoice should contact OSIA
Secretary Steven Sackett <secretary at osia.com.au> or OSIA Treasurer
Daniel Jitnah <treasurer at osia.com.au> urgently.

Members are reminded that they must be financial for FY2016/17 in order
to vote at the 2016 AGM (see above). So for those very few who are yet
to renew, please do so now.

** Infrastructure refresh project **

Further progress has been made on this project. On 30 July, all of
OSIA's mailing lists were migrated to their new home at
lists.osia.com.au, a system designed to maximise reliability. The board
thanks OSIA Director (Infrastructure) Andrew Cutler for his work on
this initiative.

The project continues, with the focus now moving to OSIA's public
website.

** Board meetings **

The board met in Adelaide on 4 June & 4 July, in Sydney on 5 August and
by teleconference on 15 & 23 August. The board will meet again (by
teleconference) next Monday (5 September).

As always, OSIA members are encouraged to bring any pertinent matters
(and indeed your views on them) to the attention of the Board, either
on this list or by contacting any of us directly.

Regards,

Jack Burton
<jack at saosce.com.au>