[Osia-members] [Fwd: Subject: Two former OSIA directors honoured by ACS]

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Tue Jun 20 18:32:50 AEST 2017

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 23:44 +1000, Nick Moore wrote:
> Congratulations to you & to Anastasia!

Thanks Don & Nick -- much appreciated.

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 23:44 +1000, Nick Moore wrote:
> Thanks for passing the email on ...

No worries. Not sure why Malcolm's posts did not get through to the
list in the first place. Particularly if you have other members whose
mail is also hosted at Internode, the current board might want to
consider looking into whether that problem still exists and if so how
best to resolve it (if you'll pardon the pun)...

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 23:44 +1000, Nick Moore wrote:
>  and I agree, great to see work in the Free / Open Source Software
> world getting recognized!

Indeed, that's the most important thing here -- for our sector as a
whole -- along with *continuing* to build recognition of the many great
things that happen in the Australian FOSS sector.

There are a good number of other individuals in the sector (both within
& beyond OSIA) whose distinguished contributions to the computing
profession have not yet been recognised formally by relevant
professional societies like ACS, EA, IEEE, ITPA, etc.

ACS recognising *two* of us from our sector on the same day I think
sets the stage nicely for recognition of others in the .au FOSS
industry to follow in the near future.

As to my own award, given the emphasis on public policy work, I see
that in part also as a ringing endorsement of the efficacy of the
strategy we followed at OSIA in recent years, in focussing on frequent,
public, credible, high-quality, sustained, consistent engagement with
government on all major public policy matters affecting the .au FOSS
industry...

...and also a ringing endorsement of the good work done by all those
(not just me) who contributed substantially to delivering against that
strategy during that time.

In that respect, Carl Holden (first at OSIA then later at Safecoms) as
well as Don Christie, Aimee Maree Forsstrom & Paul Foxworthy (all three
at OSIA) and Malcolm Hill (at OpenSA, many moons ago) all immediately
come to mind -- without their efforts, much of what we achieved in the
public policy space would not have been -- so in the absence of a more
suitable public forum, I'd like to close by taking the opportunity here
to thank those people now.

Regards,

--
Jack Burton FACS CP <jack at saosce.com.au>