[Osia-members] Call for expressions of interest to serve on the board of OSIA

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 06:35:25 AEDT 2018

Jack,

It looks like OSIA is currently challenged in finding volunteers with
sufficient time commitment to resource OSIA official positions. So I
think it appropriate to ask: "Does OSIA gain any noticeable value by
being an incorporated company?"

Why not run OSIA like a simple Open Source project - with little more
than an email list, a Project Steering Committee, and simple voting
conventions? (We have successfully run the Australian chapter of the
Open Source Geospatial Foundation this way for ~ a decade).
The advantages are that you can reduce the red tape of managing money,
but you can still be quoted authoritatively and lobby government
agencies for change.

Warm regards, Cameron