[Osia-members] On the future of OSIA (again)

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Fri Jan 12 19:20:22 AEDT 2018

On Fri, 2018-01-12 at 17:04 +1100, Andrew Yager wrote:
> I'll add the following…
>
> Being the director of an organisation carries a lot of responsibility for
> the organisation, including legal responsibility. When working with a
> representative body/NFP organisation - I would argue the responsibility is
> all the more important as it is not only your reputation, but the
> reputation of the sector. While it definitely is a great way to build
> exposure and profile, there is also a responsibility for diligence and
> concern for the affairs of the organisation. So while it's probably not
> important to take it as seriously as you might take your "day job", you
> need to make sure you do have sufficient time to exercise your diligence.
> Don't volunteer if you are already time poor, stretched and don't have time
> to do it.
>
> Do volunteer because you are passionate about the contribution Open Source
> technology makes. Do volunteer because you have benefited from open source
> projects in your business and they have allowed you to buy food. Do
> volunteer because you want to ensure that people are aware of the valuable
> contribution Open Source technology makes to our technological environment.
> Do volunteer because you are passionate about ensuring that bad, fear and
> vendor driven policy doesn't become the benchmark for the way we evaluate
> and accept technology. Do volunteer because you want to mobilise and
> empower people to use and contribute to Open Source.
>
> And think about what you could do. What you are already doing is a great
> place to start.

Well said Andrew. You make some great points above.

> That said, whatever happens we need better member/industry engagement. When
> OSIA has had high levels of industry engagement it's worked well. When OSIA
> has become the love child of the directors it has become a labour to run. I
> know this first hand and personally. I don't know how to do this or make it
> happen, but I can see that it's absolutely necessary.

Agreed.

I don't have all the answers either, but again I suggest that OSIA
should try utilising the very development model on which our industry
is built -- there may well be *other* good ways to increase industry
engagement too, but that one is likely to be both the most familiar to
many OSIA members and the most aligned with our cause, so is probably a
good place to start.

> Realise I'm throwing peanuts here. I don't even think we are officially
> members any more… but if the organisation had life and enthusiasm we'd
> gladly change that if we could help.

Just to clarify for Andrew and for anyone else who may be thinking the
same thing...

You do *not* need to be a financial member to lodge an EoI or even to
serve on the board.

*Anybody* in the .au FOSS industry is welcome to lodge an EoI.

Of course, after actually being appointed to the board, it would seem
only natural to join as a member if you or your company isn't already,
but even that is not a requirement.

At the SGM, the only thing that will be restricted to financial members
is casting a vote.