[Osia-members] My thought: A new approach is needed.

Bob Birchall bob at calyx.net.au
Fri Jan 26 15:49:20 AEDT 2018

Hi Mark,
I agree with these comments. The other significant outcome of the meeting
that I would add to your list was the expression of goodwill from Linux
Australia, manifested both in the number of present and past councillors
who attended our meeting and in the sympathetic and encouraging words of
Cathy Reed and others.

Dave Kempe pointed out to me this morning that over 400 organisations paid
for their people to attend Linux Conf this week. This is the open source
industry. Its strong, though diverse. If OSIA is to speak for it, we need
better mechanisms than we have currently for harvesting opinions and
resources.

My take on our situation is this:
- any future for OSIA lies in closer collaboration with LA;
- there is a widely held view that ongoing representation to government is
necessary, in some matters vital and urgent;
- we have neither the troops nor money to continue as a public company;
- past and present members do not perceive value in the existing structure.

We have an invitation from LA to discussion of what alternative futures
might look like. I think we need to take that up.

My opinion.

Bob Birchall
Calyx