[Osia-members] Notice of Annual General Meeting

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Sat Nov 10 00:12:29 AEDT 2018

The Annual General Meeting of Open Source Industry Australia Limited
will be held on Friday 30 November 2018, commencing at 5:30 pm. Please
find the Notice of Meeting, agenda, papers & proxy form attached to
this message.

The meeting will be held at the offices of the Australian Computer
Society (Canberra Branch), Suites 8-9, Level 1, Royal Life Saving House,
26 Napier Close, Deakin ACT 2600.

After the AGM, all those present will be welcome to join the board for
drinks and/or dinner somewhere local. It will be a good evening --
please do come along and support your industry body.

As at the close of the call for nominations, only two nominations had
been received (see attachments). Because of that and given the
relatively brief period of time (5 days) for which the call for
nomination was open, the Chairman has foreshadowed that he intends to
call for further nominations from the floor at the AGM.

Regards,

--
Jack Burton FACS CP <jack at saosce.com.au>
Company Secretary, Open Source Industry Australia Ltd

---

1. Why have I received this notice twice (or even three times)?

This notice has been sent out by email to the osia at members@ and
osia-fin@ lists *and* by post to the addresses we have on file for all
members who were financial as at today (9 November 2018).

We did that because OSIA's Constitution requires us to send notice of
AGMs by post, but we recognise that most members will probably prefer
to receive a copy by email too.

If you receive a copy by email but not by post (within the bounds of
standard postal delivery times), either the address we have on file for
you is out of date (in which case you should send mail to
secretary at osia.com.au with your change of address details) or your
financial membership has lapsed -- in which case you should renew it as
soon as possible: to do so, just pay your FY2018/19 membership renewal
invoice (or if you didn't receive one, contact me off-list).

If you received two copies by email, either you are subscribed to
osia-members@ with two different email addresses, or you were a
financial member as at 30 June 2018, so are currently subscribed both
to osia-fin@ and to osia-members at .

Sorry if that seems a little confusing. Even though by law we are only
required to send the Notice of AGM to financial members (all of whom
are on osia-fin@), we cross-post it to osia-members@ as a courtesy so
that others with an ongoing interest in OSIA can be kept informed too.

Note: if you were a financial member in FY2017/18 but we have not
received your FY2018/19 membership renewal payment yet, you will be
unsubscribed from osia-fin@ this weekend (unless your payment shows up
in tonight's bank transfer batch or arrives by paypal before the
unsubscribe job runs).

2. I am a financial member but I can't attend the AGM in person. How can
I vote?

Lodge a proxy vote using the attached form. To be valid, proxy forms
must be received at least 48 hours in advance of the AGM.

Make sure you check that your proxy and alternate proxy (if any) are
both financial members and that at least one of them will be attending
the AGM in person.

If you do not know any financial members who will be attending the AGM
in person, you can make your proxy out in favour of "chairman of the
meeting" or "company secretary".

3. I am not a financial member. How can I vote at the AGM?

Only financial members get a vote at the AGM. So if you want to vote,
first you must join OSIA.

If you received a membership renewal invoice for FY2018/19 but have not
yet paid it, just pay it.

Otherwise, send mail to secretary at osia.com.au to enquire about joining
OSIA.

4. I want to stand for election as a director but did not get my
nomination form in on time. How can I arrange to be nominated from the
floor at the AGM?

If you are a financial member (or an authorised representative of a
financial member), the simplest way is to show up at the AGM in person
and nominate yourself.

If you are not a financial member, the simplest way is become a
financial member in advance of the AGM, then see the previous
paragraph.

Either way, if you cannot attend the AGM in person, you will need to
arrange for a financial member who will be attending in person to
nominate you. It would be a good idea to brief that person on why you
are standing / what you want to achieve on the board, so that he or she
can make a brief statement on your behalf at the AGM. If you do not
know any financial members who will be attending, feel free to contact
either the Chairman or me off-list (at least a full day before the
AGM).

5. I am not a financial member, but I am interested in the future of
OSIA and I will be in Canberra on 30 Nov. Can I attend the AGM in
person as an observer?

Yes, but only as an observer -- only financial members can vote at the
AGM.

Pleas note however that we have booked a venue of an appropriate size
for OSIA's financial membership. If need be, the Chairman may, at his
discretion, ask anyone not entitled to vote to leave the meeting.

There is a very simple way to mitigate that risk: just join (or renew
your membership) in advance of the AGM.