[Osia-members] OSIA September/October update

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Thu Oct 20 00:05:30 AEDT 2016

Evening, all.

The last couple of months have again been a busy time for OSIA.

** TPP -- appearance before JSCOT **

On 7 October in Melbourne, I testified before a public hearing of the
Joint Standing Committee on Treaties (JSCOT) on the Trans Pacific
Partnership (TPP), following on from OSIA's submission to JSCOT in
March.

The Hansard proof transcript of the hearing is available at:
http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;query=Id%
3A%22committees%2Fcommjnt%2Fa6fa4bc7-9c2e-4788-9378-e676fc0a3f53%2F0005%
22

** TPP -- Senate references committee submission **

The OSIA TPP Committee is in the process of drafting a submission to
the Senate Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence & Trade
(references committee) regarding TPP.

Any other members (or employees of members) having the time, capability
and desire to contribute to the drafting of this submission are invited
to contact me (off-list) tonight or tomorrow. Note however that the
submission will be lodged next week, so this is a very short-term, very
high-intensity task.

** Direct engagement with Commonwealth agencies **

In the last month I have been approached directly by two prominent
Commonwealth Government agencies, seeking OSIA's advice and/or
involvement in two nascent government initiatives. OSIA director,
public policy (domestic) Aimee Maree Forsstrom & I met with
representatives from one agency and I have been engaging in separate
discussions with the other. We are not yet at liberty to disclose the
nature of those initiatives (both of which are planned to be announced
in November), but suffice to say they both appear to bode well for the
Australian open source software industry. We'll provide further details
as soon as we can.

** Productivity Commission Inquiry into IP arrangements **

The Commission delivered its final report to government on 23
September. It has not yet been made public, but will be tabled in
parliament within 25 sitting days of its delivery. Depending on whether
that refers to sitting days in the upper house, lower house or both
(it's really not made clear), that deadline could be as soon as
November or as late as February; or indeed the government might choose
to table it before the deadline. Either way, we'll be keeping a keen
eye out for it.

** Annual election **

Members are reminded that, as always, the board is up for election at
the AGM.

Service on the board is the most direct route to shaping the future of
your industry body.

As with any board, service as a director also comes with various
statutory responsibilities (so prospective nominees would be well
advised to be familiar with the relevant provisions of the Corporations
Act and contemporary decisions on matters of governance).

Since OSIA does not employ any staff, in addition to its governance
responsibilities, the OSIA board also has direct responsibility for
management & operations. The business of OSIA revolves principally
around representing the Australian open source software industry in
public policy matters, together with assorted activities to support
those initiatives.

Despite all those responsibilities, service on the board can be
tremendously rewarding. In recent times our industry's voice has become
far clearer, more audible and more effective. It is simultaneously
humbling and gratifying to be actively engaged in making that so.

Twelve months on from launching OSIA's new mission to amplify the voice
of the Australian open source software industry, we are now starting to
see some real results. But that is only the beginning. With a
continuation of that focus, backed up by sharp minds and hard work,
almost anything is possible.

Any members (or directors / senior employees of members) who both share
that vision and have sufficient capability & availability to commit to
achieving it are encouraged to nominate.

OSIA Secretary Steven Sackett distributed the call for nominations on
this list on 5 October. Completed nomination forms should be sent
directly to the Secretary. Nominations close on 25 October.

** Secretary to retire; new Secretary sought **

A reminder that OSIA Secretary Steven Sackett has given notice that he
will be retiring from the role in mid November. The board thanks Mr
Sackett for his exemplary service over the last three years and wishes
him all the best in his retirement.

Expressions of interest are sought from members (or directors / senior
employees of members) interested in taking on the role of Company
Secretary thereafter.

Those interested should contact me directly, off-list.

** Annual General Meeting **

OSIA's 2016 AGM will be held in Sydney on 18 November, after hours. The
Company Secretary will distribute the notice of AGM on this list no
later than 28 October.

So please keep the evening of 18/11 free in your diaries. I look
forward to catching up with many OSIA members on the night of the AGM.

** Board meetings **

The board met by teleconference on 5 September and will next meet in
Melbourne on 29 October, which will be the last board meeting of the
current term.

As always, OSIA members are encouraged to bring any pertinent matters
(and indeed your views on them) to the attention of the Board, either
on this list or by contacting any of us directly.

Regards,

Jack Burton
<jack at saosce.com.au>