[Osia-members] Draft ready: What could Open Government learn from us Open Technology folks?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 07:59:44 AEDT 2018

Hi folks,

Correct, this paper just focuses a subset of the participation section
of Open Government National Action Plan (section 5.2 [1]). This section
happened to be central to many of Malcomb Turnbull's Open Government
agenda points when announced [2]

/"I'm a great believer in being much more global in our approach.
Governments have historically been much less global in their research,
in their awareness of policy responses than businesses, yet we're all
dealing with the same problems, pretty much. ...  We want to break down
silos, break down all of the inertia that comes from empire building, so
that citizens or businesses will have a seamless, straightforward way of
dealing with government -- federal, state, or local."/

Yet, this problem has been hard to solve for Open Government, has huge
potential value to be gained if solved, and I believe us folks in the
Open Source world are best place to help solve it. This has been where
I've been focusing my energy.

Mark, OSIA,
Good to hear that you are tackling other areas of the OGNAP priorities.
There are some important topics to cover in there. I wish you all the best.

[1]
https://ogpau.pmc.gov.au/australias-first-open-government-national-action-plan-2016-18/commitments/v-public-participation-1
[2]
http://www.zdnet.com/article/turnbull-wants-transformation-office-to-be-shared-globally/

Cameron

P.S. A minor clarification: I feel I might be getting misunderstood
based on quote below. I'm very keen to collaborate with all parties,
especially government.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier, Learnosity